École Greenview School is located in the Woodvale community, north central Mill Woods adjacent to the Mill Woods Golf Course.
Our school offers an English Kindergarten to Grade 6 program, French Immersion Kindergarten to Grade 6 program, and a French as a Second Language program Grades 4 to 6. There are over 400 students in our family of learners this year.
A highly involved parent group supports the classrooms and school programs in numerous ways. Volunteers are welcome and active in our school community be it through material preparation, working with students, belonging to a committee, or helping out with special occasions such as Hot lunch and Treat Days.
École Greenview School's Mission is to provide a progressive and safe learning community that fosters maximum growth within a dual-language context. We create meaningful learning opportunities that promote responsible global citizenship and academic success.
Literacy for the 21st century learner encompasses a broad set of skills and competencies, integrated across the Kindergarten to Grade 12 programs of study. These skills are manifested when students are engaged in authentic, relevant and meaningful learning contexts. Each student must develop competency in reading, writing, speaking, viewing, listening, representing and numeracy as foundational skills for 21st century learning. Literacy learning involves effective use of:
- Personal and social skills such as collaboration, communication, leadership and self-direction
- Digital age literacy that includes cultural competence, global awareness, accessing information from a variety of texts and effective use of technology and tools
- Learning and thinking skills such as inquiry based learning, critical and creative thinking, problem solving, number sense, higher order thinking, meta-cognition and and intellectual engagement.
The 21st century learner embraces the pluralism of the contexts in which these skills are applied.
The 21st century literacy encourages student interaction with a community of learners and promotes self-directed learners.
Quality assessment and instruction are paramount to the teaching and learning of literacy in language and in all other curricular areas.
École Greenview School is pleased to offer a wide variety of technology-integrated learning experiences to students:
- Staff and student have access to 30 new laptops, utilizing programs and internet-based resources to accompany regular curricular activities.
- With full Wi-Fi access, students are encouraged to bring their own Wi-Fi capable devices to school to enhance their learning experience.
- All of our classrooms are equipped with interactive Smart boards and document cameras which bring a new dimension of learning to our classrooms.
- We provide Chrome books to be used in the classroom
The school is equipped with 30 laptops, and well as two portable labs of 30 netbooks in each. Greenview school went wireless in 2010 and now has access throughout the school. Every classroom is equipped with a SMART board and many classrooms have FM systems. Other pieces of technology include IPads, digital cameras, flipcams, individual response systems as well as document cameras. As Information and Communication Technology outcomes are integrated into core curriculum instruction, our students use technology as a tool for learning and to access sources of information.